The rise and reign of the hoodie
Rooting its origins in Medieval Europe with its powerful presence in today’s fashion world, the hoodie had become both a style icon and an essential piece – the ultimate statement worn by street stylers everywhere.
It is believed that the short cape (or “capa”) was imported to England in the 12th Century. Before that monks used to wear tunics with hoods to keep themselves warm. Outdoor workers did wear hoodies too.
Fast forward to the 1930s when the US company Champion apparently made the first hooded sweatshirt. Initially, hoods were added to sweatshirts to keep workers warm during the bitter winters in Upstate New York. Shortly thereafter, Champion supplied sports kits including sweatshirts to the US military for training and exercise. So, Long before it was considered go-to wear to shady elements, the hoodie was the uniform of champions. Since then it’s been adopted by hip-hop culture, skaters, snowboarders, students, and finally to present time – the catwalks.
Ok, now, since we’ve spent far too much time in loungewear maybe you’ve found yourself that it’s hard to part with that cozy garment. No need to, though.
October is the perfect month to exercise some transitional wear starring the hoodie. This comfortable piece proved to be surprisingly versatile and can be worn not only on the backs of street-style aficionados.
1. Create an outfit by yourself.
2. Use “What to wear?” for ready to wear combos
3. Pick from the ones you already saved in your #digitalcloset
Otherwise, the hoodie is perfect for layering in the autumn season and I can’t be more excited to share ahead some hoodie looks that prove comfort can be chic and in some cases even outright polished!
1. Hoodie, leather bottoms, strappy heels – edgy and sophisticated, or add sneakers for a casual vibe.
2. Hoodie, blazer dress or coat, high knee boots – hot, glam! Or make it all black for a classy appearance
3. Hoodie, leather jacket, denim – classic
4. Hoodie, tailored blazer, sneakers – add a belt on top for this cool-girl look
5. Hoodie, slip dress or lace skirt, boots – but make it sexy. RiRi has turned this piece into a night-out-approved outfit. If you struggle to find the perfect oversized hoodie try shopping in the men’s department.
6. Hoddie, jeans, sneakers – it’s the ultimate laidback outfit combo. Upgrade this look by adding heeled boots and a boyfriend blazer. Try a graphic hoodie for an extra flavor.
7. Hoodie, sweatpants, extra warm coat – but go tonal for that street-style vibe
8. Hoodie, coordinated suit, heels – this can even take you to that business meeting with no effort at all!
9. Hoodie, flowy dress, combat boots – this will give the hoodie vibe extra finesse
Keep hoodies on girls, and follow us on social! Talk to you soon!
Where to go from here:
- How To Style a Hoodie
- La Koketa Magazine – Issue 9
- What was wrong with Apple event 2021?
- Outfit Diaries of a Camper Girl
- La Koketa Magazine – Issue 8
Thumbnail photo credit: WhoWatWear, other images via Pinterest